Frank Strategies: The Blog

Danziger: Tea Party “Ultimately to Blame” for Tucson Shootings
January 10, 2011, 9:12 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: ,

This afternoon, I saw perhaps the most troubling, irresponsible, disconnected-from-reality editorial cartoon I’ve ever seen published in a major American newspaper (click to enlarge:)

Danziger cartoon

It’s one thing to hastily jump to conclusions before the facts are known, but it’s another to stick to those hasty conclusions in the face of contradictory facts. Unfortunately, that’s what cartoonist Jeff Danziger is doing. In all my years in politics, I have never contacted an editorial cartoonist, but I was so appalled by this cartoon, that today I did. To my surprise, Danziger replied. Below is our full exchange:
——
Mr Danziger –

I’ve worked professionally in political communications for more than 16 years now – for Members of Congress, a Cabinet Secretary, many political candidates, and a variety of non-profit organizations. As a result, I’ve obviously seen many editorial cartoons with which I’ve disagreed. But I have never seen one as shamefully disgusting as the one I just saw on WashingtonPost.com that is credited to you.

In the cartoon, a violent gunman is shown inside a teapot. I take this to mean that you’re perpetuating the view the millions of law-abiding citizens who have marched in tea party rallies are somehow complicit in the horrible shooting that occurred in Tucson on Saturday.

As you should know, at this point, there appears to be absolutely no connection between the tea party and the troubled young man who pulled the trigger. Not an ideological connection. Not one shred of evidence that he ever attended a tea party rally or visited tea party websites. Not even any evidence that he was enflamed or motivated by over-the-top political rhetoric from either side of the aisle. To the contrary, all the evidence that is currently available points to the complete opposite of all of these claims.

For you to willfully and purposely advance an incredibly explosive accusation for which there is not one shred of evidence does a disservice to you and to the American public. I generally agree with critics who say that over-the-top rhetoric — on both the left and right — should be dialed back, but when you and others imply or outright claim that millions of patriotic citizens are accessories to a gruesome mass murder, you’re only making matters much, much worse.

Sincerely,
-Ed Frank
—–
Dear Mr. Frank-

Thanks for your letter.

I disagree. In a larger sense there is a link between anti-government rhetoric and the actions of this obviously deranged man. He is not “troubled”, he is crazed. But he knows that the larger enemy is the “government”, even though I suspect he has no idea, other than the police, what the government is. So in my experience, there is plenty of linkage, the linkage of a constant steady pressure, constant yammering on right wing radio, and constant political advertising to strike at the government, linking to a weak and distracted mind, inured to the real cost of violence by video games and super-violent films. And to this the easy availability of Glocks in a state like Arizona, and the result is more than predictable. Only willful political opportunism could blind anmyone to it. This same connection drove Timothy McVeigh and others. This won’t, I regret to say, be the last incident, not as long as the self-hatred in this country goes unanswered.

The drawing, which was designed to go with an article rather than stand by itself, is not shameful nor disgusting. It is designed like all oped art to be provocative and interpretative. It shows a point of view which relates the hyperbole of the tea party people to the actions of a disturbed mentality. The disgusting part is the lack of inclination to blame the people untimately responsible. They are again being given a pass for the viciousness they have engendered, at least in part.

I would guess that your experience is on one political side rather than the other. I am on neither. I want all this goddam noise and manufactured strife to stop. I want people to work toward a better country. I think I have earned the right to insist on it. I am not a Democrat nor a Republican, neither left nor right. I was drafted and served in Vietnam and was awarded a Bronze Star and an Air Medal and received a field commission. That probably means less to me than to others, but I don’t have to apologize to anyone for my views. This may not equate to working in political communications as you have done, but it counts for something.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your writing and will bear your remarks in mind in future.

All best wishes,

Jeff Danziger
—-
Mr. Danziger –

I appreciate your service to our nation, and you’re definitely entitled to your opinion, but I ask you to provide one piece of actual evidence for this statement:

“In a larger sense there is a link between anti-government rhetoric and the actions of this obviously deranged man.”

To my knowledge, none exists. The fact that tea-party activists generally support smaller government does not create a “link” between them and “crazed” individuals who may be generally anti-government or anti-establishment. Everything I’ve seen thus far suggests that there’s not much separating this gunman from the emotionally disturbed killers at Virginia Tech and Columbine, other than the establishment symbols that they ultimately targeted – schools vs. Congress.

Furthermore, I have to take issue with your comparison to Oklahoma City. In that case, there was actual evidence that Tim McVeigh’s horrible and unforgivable action was in direct response to the Waco raid and other DOJ actions of the time. To date, none of the evidence coming out of Tucson indicates that the shooter acted in response to any specific governmental action or political statement whatsoever – including anything coming out of the tea party.

Finally, I must take issue with your statement that there is a “lack of inclination to blame the people ultimately responsible.” At this point, the only person responsible for this action is the guy who pulled the trigger.

If it’s ok with you, I’d like to publish our exchange on my blog. In any case, thanks for your reply. I strongly disagree with your conclusions, but I do appreciate your time.

-Ed

UPDATE: 10:00 pm EST:

Ed. We are not in court. I have been watching the development of this combination of loons and opportunists since it started. The Tea Party, the very name is ridiculous. Crazed fat people tortured by their lack of success in life, following the absolute worst of our politicians. Palin, Angel, Quayle’s rotten kid. These people are your choice for anything? The whole thing is based on unreality. Don’t you understand? And Mcveigh was reading that crazy shit from the enbd times or whagtever it is called.

In the end the government has GOT to work. We are in competition with the world. Car companies don’t compete. nation now compete. And these asses want to go back to the 1700’s. I’ve written enough. The whole thing is probably unstoppable except with another dumb war. That’s what usually happens. You can have it.

83 Comments so far

If Mr. Danziger wants “all this ** noise and manufactured strife to stop”, perhaps he should stop contributing to it.

Comment by Barb

The cartoon is absolutely explicit in it’s meaning and no way illustrates the result or intention of the tea party.

Comment by Renoman

Mr. Danziger was pretty consistent in his anti-government rhetoric around the Patriot Act, the rush-to-war-without-listening-to-the-people, and a couple Supreme Court decisions. I’m trying to think what the connection is here. I’m sure it’ll come to me if I think about it…

The opacity and lack of insight of Danziger’s response is pretty frightening. He literally cannot conceive of a politics beyond his tribe being right and another one wrong. The possibility does not even occur to him.

Comment by Assistant Village Idiot

The only thing wrong with Danziger’s cartoon is that he didn’t draw a large crack down the side of the pot to more accurately portray the kind of tea bagger..

Comment by pesfb

And it seems that by their actions and statements, people like Danzinger are determined, by their use of inflammatory images and words, to start that war, on the assumption that it’s their destiny to win it.

Comment by Raoul Ortega

Daniziger is a talented artist, but his logic is strained, at best- and his own anger comes out pretty obviously with a left-wing slant- especially in that last post, that sadly, reads more like what the schizo shooter wrote. I hope it was a result of a Jack Daniels too many…

Comment by fred

In September 2009, over a half-million “crazed fat people tortured by their lack of success in life” gathered on the Mall in Washington, DC to say “enough!” Hundreds of thousands more voiced the same words elsewhere. In November 2010, MILLIONS of voters said, again, “enough!” Danzinger can draw whatever he wants. It’s a free country, and he’s way, way outnumbered.

Comment by Uh, Clem

Ahhaa… I see you are a sailor…

Comment by porkopolitan

Danziger is a dishonest clown.

Comment by SmokeVanThorn

Wow, that guy is beyond creepy.

Comment by aaron

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Matt Mackowiak, Barbara G, Ed Frank, Nathan Wurtzel, Patrick Ishmael and others. Patrick Ishmael said: "Crazed fat people tortured by lack of success in life, following the absolute worst of our politicians" http://is.gd/kx5lW RT @allahpundit [...]

Pingback by Tweets that mention Danziger: Tea Party “Ultimately to Blame” for Tucson Shootings « Frank Strategies: The Blog -- Topsy.com

Mr. Danziger, forced to deal with logic and facts presented in a calm and respectful tone, quickly resorts to name-calling and rudeness. The man is irrational, overly emotional, grossly partisan to the point of deluded and quite possibly mentally unbalanced. He and his work reminds me of Ted Ralls, who is a despicable and indecent person.

I respect Mr. Danzinger’s honorable past service to his country. I would avoid him presently.

Best regards, Peter Warner.

Comment by Peter Warner

He’s back-pedaling, but you can feel the hatred coming off
him. Nobody makes a cartoon like that without hating the
subject.

Comment by Runcible

Danziger insults the tea party people and claims he has no
agenda and is a centrist? Please. He is transparent as he is
disgusting.

Comment by Dave

Yeah! And those tea-partiers are Fat, and gay! OPPS!!!! I
am so sorry. Fat is a sophisticated perjoritive, but calling
someone “gay” as a derogatory comment is unseemly. And the cartoon
lampooning Obama for saying, “if they bring a knife, we bring a
gun” to a political fight(or words to that effect)??? Aw – C’mon –
we all know Baracky was just josh’in!!! No violence on my
(opps!)..on the “democrats” side…….

Comment by Californio

I have a master’s degree in computer science, and I had to
take several courses in logic theory. Still trying to figure out
how anyone could claim (a) and then state (b). I guess that makes
me fat and tortured by my lack of success, or something… a. I
would guess that your experience is on one political side rather
than the other. I am on neither. I want all this goddam noise and
manufactured strife to stop. I want people to work toward a better
country. I think I have earned the right to insist on it. I am not
a Democrat nor a Republican, neither left nor right. b. The Tea
Party, the very name is ridiculous. Crazed fat people tortured by
their lack of success in life, following the absolute worst of our
politicians. Palin, Angel, Quayle’s rotten kid. These people are
your choice for anything?

Comment by robert

“Ed. We are not in court. I have been watching the
development of this combination of loons and opportunists since it
started. The Tea Party, the very name is ridiculous. Crazed fat
people tortured by their lack of success in life, following the
absolute worst of our politicians. Palin, Angel, Quayle’s rotten
kid. These people are your choice for anything? The whole thing is
based on unreality. Don’t you understand? And Mcveigh was reading
that crazy shit from the enbd times or whagtever it is called.”
Geez, with that attitude, and that incoherent vitriol filled rant,
it sounds like Mr. Danzinger is about ready to become our next
shooter. I’ve been called a lot of things, but “crazed fat person
tortured by my lack of success in life” is a first. I think I’ll
leave the kids at home in the next rally, just in case Mr.
Danzinger is about to move beyond that rage to some sort of
desparate act fitting with the sentiment. It always amazes me how
people can let go with that much emotion and that sort of
demonizing characterization, and then accuse me of being hateful.
What have I done compared to your cartoon and the above
rant?

Comment by Celebrim

That last update is seriously disturbing. Disconnected,
hateful, close to being out of control. It’s no less disturbing
that he’d send a message like that to someone he doesn’t know,
knowing that it would be posted publicly. I find myself, perhaps
unfairly, wondering whether he’d been drinking when he wrote that
last bit.

Comment by jaed

From the vantage point of Germany, such cartoons as this
clutter up the real reportage, and serve to inflame by lying about
an entire group of people who seem to merely be exercising their
political rights to expression. To place a gun in the tea pot is as
logical as President Obama’s “bring a gun” remark, something which
disappointed many here. Threatening violence is done in many ways,
and one of the ways is to besmirch an entire group, as the National
Socialists managed too easily to do. What surprised me about the
tea party in Washington was how non-violent it was. This must have
angered those like danziger who would place a fictional gun in the
hand of a political opponent and then convict him of the deed. It
is dishonest.

Comment by Siegmund W.

In a larger sense there is a link between
anti-government rhetoric and the actions of this obviously deranged
man. He is not “troubled”, he is crazed. But he knows that the
larger enemy is the “government”

Danziger seems
to think he has special insight into the kook’s thinking. Some kind
of deep affinity, I guess. A natural empath, for kooks at least.
Otherwise, not so much.

Comment by melenerpes

As is true of the entire Left, Dansiger embodies, aids and
abets what he professes to hate. To Leftists everywhere: when you
satisfactorily own up to and account for the 100 million deaths at
the hands of socialism in the last century, *then* you can get
preachy to the rest of us about “rhetoric”.

Comment by Seerak

Jesus Christ, man! Now we liberals have to answer for Stalin? Take a minute and THINK about what you just wrote. Good Lord!

Comment by Zeerak

Yes, you do, you moron. Stalin is still popular in the academy, too. Oh, forgot to add, “You’re an idiot.”

Comment by ejay

Sorry, Seerak is right. Socialism/collectivism equates to loss of individual freedom and ascendancy of the state. Stalin, Hitler, Mao represent collectivism’s end game: totalitarianism. Liberals should at least offer a coherent explanation for these tyrants.

Comment by pt sargent

If Danziger thinks Palin is “the worst of our politicians”
he is one stupid cookie. Maybe he never heard of Charlie Rangel,
Chris Dodd, Alan Grayson, Maxine Waters, on and on. Hundreds,
thousands of names to go through before getting anywhere close to
Palin on her worst day. I mentioned only Dems to make a point in
contrats to Danziger, but there are planty of GOPs to name as well.
His claim to be of neither party, and therefore impartial, is quite
risible given the names he claims as the bad pols. He should just
admit it, he leans left and votes Dem. Better he be honest about it
than play the media game of claiming impartiality while exhibiting
bias.

Comment by Marty

“”If Danziger thinks Palin is “the worst of our politicians”
he is one stupid cookie””

It’s worth noting, she’s *not* a politician. At least not since she quit.

If she’s the worst of anything, it’s ‘celebrity’

Comment by Jucy Lucy

Interesting how Danziger claims to be neither Republican or
Democrat, but then the obvious loathing and blame all seems to fall
on the right when he gets going.

Comment by Weary G

Are you sure his editor, spouse or someone else didn’t write that first reply to you? Because it’s way more reasonable than the second one. Reads to me like two different minds wrote it.

Comment by gorgo

Do a google search on “Der Sturmer” and you will see just this kind of agitprop. Only the target has changed.

Comment by Doug

I appreciate and am grateful for Danzigers service. That being said, it sounds like he has alot of hate and anger that needs to be dealt with. In MY opinion he should seek help rather than spew his vitriol in op-ed “art” that fuels the fire he claims to want to see put out.

Comment by ctmom

Boy – it is hilarious how Danzig – once his first reply is challenged calmly by Mr. Frank – IMMEDIATELY descends into spittle-flecked rage at the “fat losers” in the Tea Party. Somehow – in his addled mind – there is a connection with car companies, the 18th century, the Tea Party, obesity, Tuscon and “losers.” Oliver Stone himself couldn’t connect these threads.

I wonder if this fine paper would employ a right wing cartoonist who drips with contempt over the pot-smoking, Godless, draft-dodging, atheist heathens on the left? I think we know the answer to that.

Comment by JohnBoy

“I was drafted and served in Vietnam and was awarded a Bronze Star and an Air Medal and received a field commission. That probably means less to me than to others, but I don’t have to apologize to anyone for my views. ”

Why mention it then? Says all we need to know about the man.

Comment by Scott

Wow, and I thought the Tea Party was made up of people who were wealthier than average. Now I learn they are fat failures. Who knew?

Comment by Michael

I’m a Tea Party Protester. Had no idea at 5’4″ and 130 lbs I’m fat, or unsuccessful. Have a law degree. Just launched a design company. And I protested Bush’s Tarp. Protested Stimulus, and can figure out that “Tea Party” refers to the historical American sense that my government is setting an agenda DESPITE the people, not by the people. I protest.
Mr. Dazinger, if that scares you, I pity you. I mostly pity you for having a kneejerk, stereotype in your head about what a Tea Party person is like, because I would bet a year’s salary you think you don’t stereotype anyone, like those Tea Party bigots do.
I don’t think you need to worry about reload, Mr. Danzinger. You need to fully reboot.

Comment by Ace Tomato

I am a 62 year old male,slim,fairly high IQ,well educated, business owner,non relegious,non gun owner,registered independent. I identify with the Tea Party Movement completely. Would love Mr. Danziger to draw a portrait of me and publish it to show the vast majority of Tea Partiers.

Comment by Walt Reed

I would hypothesize that by 10PM, mr. Danziger was drunk, hence the change in tone, tenor, spelling and grammar.

Comment by Chicagoconservative2

I thought the same thing, and seems a lot of us did. You know the saying, “In Vino Veritas”.
That is what I see on the liberal side of things a lot in debates or arguments – a posture of being so rational and sort of smugly intellectual about things, but underneath it is the very bigotry and nastiness they claim belongs to the other side.
Mr. Danziger’s facade cracked. Not a surprise to see what is underneath.

Comment by Ace Tomato

The 24/7/365 news cycle allows for far less reflection on breaking events today than it did, say, 30 years ago in the Reagan-Hinkley assassination attempt (to use a similar situation of a mentally unstable young man trying to kill a politician for what turned out to be a non-ideological reason). But if you are a member of the mass media who plans to opine on the situation right after it happens, whether in printed word or through drawings, you really shouldn’t let your own personal hopes as to the motive’s of the assassin take you to a place you shouldn’t even think about going, at least until additional facts come out in the case.

Wishing for a martyr to turn the tide of your side’s current political fortunes is a little disturbing, but has past history — Reagan got his tax cuts past the Democrat-controlled House after he was almost killed in 1981, and many put Clinton’s comeback in 1995 as starting with his response to Tim McVeigh’s Oklahoma City bombing. But taking a crazy person and trying to tie him to your political enemies with no supporting facts other than your deepest hopes it’s true is both creepy and sleazy at the same time, and you get the feeling that anyone who then doubles down after being called on it probably isn’t going to get that wish out of their head anytime soon.

Comment by John

Sigh.

The avalanche has begun. The pebbles have no say.

And so, it begins.

Comment by LarryK

This cartoonist is the one disconnected from reality. The Tea Party has no need to even respond to such disgusting lies and only gives the hater a bigger platform when we do. The fact is this shooter is a loon. I know the WaPo isn’t exactly a stable of intelligence and I expect less from its guy that draws cartoons, but this is so over the top that it really doesn’t even warrant a response.

On a side note, companies create wealth and compete, not countries. The role of a country is to create a capitalistic environment that companies can grow and compete in.

Comment by Ellis Wyatt

I was drafted served in Vietnam and was awarded a bronze star w/v device in fact I was decorated by a two star general. And the ONE thing his and my service bought is the right to live in a free country with free speech. And I for one am not willing to forgoe those rights so we can be competitive in the auto industry. Talk about confused thinking.

Comment by george

Perhaps Mr. Danzinger should read the Federalist papers. I don’t disagree with him that nations now compete on the global market. However, he equates government with nation. If he’d read the Federalist Papers he might understand that our founders thought of that when they created the Constitution. The founders realized that we were stronger as a nation when a central government dealt with other countries; that states negotiating on their own could weaken the position of other states. However, that did not mean that the founders believed in an all powerful federal government to run roughshod over its populous.

Comment by RedinPDRM

There is no evidence that the shooter consumed right-wing media of any kind. Absent such evidence, Danziger’s argument lacks proof of causation.

Does Danziger, like the shooter, believe in mind control via the subconscious osmosis of negative political vibes transmitted through the cultural ether? If so, one wonders when he’ll do something violent, because this is kind of magical thinking is whacko.

Comment by Lavaux

The final response to you said it all. It was killing him to be civil and in the end you exposed this idiot for the intolerant, undereducated fool that he clearly is. His military service, in this regard, is immaterial. Thank you, Ed, for the trouble you went to on behalf of those of us who feel the same way as you.

Comment by princetrumpet

That cartoon really needs a big liberal media mad hatter pouring the tea – because that is the ONLY teapot that holds violent Tea Party people.

Comment by Ace Tomato

Many people have been killed or wounded by a mentally ill and disturbed man. Their family and friends are in unbearable pain and mouring. Jeff Danzinger uses this tradegy to smear individuals and groups to advance his political views. Shame on him. Mr. Danzinger, I am a teaparty person. I am a stay at home mom with a special needs child. My priorities are my husband, children, extended family, friends, community and my 85 yr. old dad. I am not tortured by my lack of success! I ask you to take a moment, stop, and chill out. Our thoughts and prayers should be with all the people who were affected by this horrific event. You bring nothing to this situation.

Comment by diana

As a long time political cartoonist for a major daily and large syndicate and now a website, Jeff is a liar when he claims he’s neither left nor right. It’s pretty clear from his rant. Quoting his military service to justify his right to his opinion is creepy. One may never have to apologize to anyone, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t OWE apologies. BTW, I’m also a Vietnam veteran (Marines) and I don’t owe Jeff an apology when I say I think he’s becoming unhinged.

Comment by Cartooner

wow–this proves how angry and vindictive the progressives are about taking our country back — november 2010 really made the left show their true colors– progressives have no ability to process policy that does not conform to their agenda– they are the living proof that utopia is unoptainable because humans are involved–

Comment by v.o.t.e.

I love how in one note Danziger writes in the first letter “I would guess that your experience is on one political side rather than the other. I am on neither.” but by the end the screen has dropped and he jumps into a vitriolic anti-Tea Part diatribe.

But remember, he is not on any side!!

Comment by C-man

As so often happens, Mr. Danziger, like so many liberals,
when confronted with facts and a request to support his beliefs
with facts, can only resort to swearing and name calling. He
doesn’t have a shred of evidence to support anything he said, but,
by golly he knows he’s right despite the facts to the
contrary.

Comment by Terry Ostlund

The Democrats target Palin and the Tea-Partiers and the
Germans targeted the Jews. Same game plan by the same
mindset.

Comment by Kazooskibum

Jeff Danziger is a idiot as most crazed liberals are. I’ve
found working with non-logical persons that they can’t see the
trees for the forest… Does he ahave mental issues :”I want all
this goddam noise and manufactured strife to stop”. We have a right
to want a better goverment-that’s what the tea party is about. Mr.
Danziger best check into a mental health facility.

Comment by Douglas Pettit

Mr. Frank, I was referred to this post by Hot Air. Thanks
for calling out Mr. Danziger on his distasteful &
inaccurate cartoon. Kudos as well to you, sir, for making your
points in a respectful manner. Best wishes.

Comment by Art

—Ed. We are not in court.— Translation: He has no
evidence but that doesn’t matter because he’s still going to
believe the right is responsible. Facts do not matter, only fantasy
motivated by political ideology. Typical.

Comment by xax

Perhaps a better graphic is the MSM holding a tea kettle
while pissing into it. The tea kettle at the same time is
disgorging it’s contents on the victims of the Arizona shooting.
The caption could read something like “Of course that’s
tea”

Comment by Dave

Danziger is a former editorial cartoonist for The Christian Science Monitor. For many years his work there was as even-tempered and bland as the newspaper employing him — no edgier than a wry-humored greeting card. At length he dialed it up and become more hard-hitting, leaving the Monitor for the L.A. Times syndicate where he evolved into the flame-thrower we see now. We’ll see Ted Rall-type outrageousness from Danziger pretty soon I fear. He’s already well-beyond the left-wing college newspaper shtick exemplified by Tom Toles at the Wash. Post. What happened?

Comment by Kelpius

Once again conservatives, liberals have no rules , so don’t go pretending like there is some “courtesy” you owe liberals. Confront them with the FACTS ALL THE TIME WITHOUT MERCY

Comment by anon

I had a low opinion of the lefty media before reading this exchange, but I was really quite surprised by the feral partisan response by the cartoonist, Jeff Danziger. This is more of the kind of response I’d expect from the unhinged radicals you’d find toting a giant puppet in a protest march. I’m struck by his objection to the relatively mild Teat Party protests while ignoring the quite radical and often violent anti-war protests which marched only a few blocks from the office of the Washington Post. Had he looked out of the upper windows, Danziger could have spied many socialist banners calling for a revolution in America, depicting Bush and Cheney as bloody monsters, or seen Bush’s head being toted on a stick. It looks to me like the unhinged street demagogues have taken over the Washington Post.

Comment by Tantor

I really believe we’re seeing something historic. The left is losing it big time. The cracks are starting to show, the masks are slipping and there is nowhere for them to hide anymore. Now is no time to stop pushing. It may be painful for the country but the alternative is far, far worse.

Comment by jeannebodine

Apparently the time for dissent has passed. Where do I report to pick up my armband and shovel?

Comment by Chris_Balsz

Why are anti-government loons always assumed to be right wing?

Look at all the anti-government anarchists who “protest” by destroying property with firebombs and baseball bats every time there is an economic summit or anti-war rally or, lately, an economic crisis as in Europe.

They are left wing, Mr. D, even though your side refuses to talk about them.

Comment by PJ

Good point. Notice how it’s the Left who always look for government conspiracies – 9/11 an inside job, AIDS developed to destroy Blacks, etc., … yet who demand we let the government run everything?

No one – at least no one with any working brain cells – ever accused the Left of intelligence, consistency or logic.

Comment by Dave

Gleen Reynolds explained Danziger’s apparent mental process quite well:

Danziger: Sarah Palin and the Tea Party movement encourage hatred and violence!

Questioner: How do you know?

Danziger: Because whenever I think about them, I’m filled with hate and a desire to do harm!

Comment by Jeff Weimer

Best. Comment. Ever.

Comment by Penny

Using Danziger’s logic, sounds like he is inciting a war in that update.

And last I checked, I’m not fat. I’m not rich or well known either and never will be, but that is okay. My bills are getting paid and my decisions are my own. I’d like to keep it that way.

Comment by Annie

The only thing wrong with Danzinger’s cartoon is that he didn’t draw a large crack down the side of the pot to more accurately portray the kind of tea bagger..

Comment by pesfb

[...] Matt Welch | January 11, 2011 The man who (apparently) says this…. [...]

Pingback by Cartoon "Self-Hatred" and "Viciousness" - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Here’s the link people need to acknowledge:

The Baby Boomer Left who now control the MSM and academia came of age as 1960s Libs. They destroyed civil discourse. They blew stuff up. They burned stuff down. As adults now populating the MSM they scream (Olberman) or lie (Rather) or pontificate illogically and dishonestly (Krugman) to accomplish their ends, ALL of which are counter to the Rule of Law. What was accomplished in the 1960s by the destruction of society by the Boomer Left? Let’s see.. JFK – whacked by a marxist)? RFK (whacked by a marxist muslim)? Ring any bells? SDS – marxists and now teaching college and sitting in Congress? Weathermen – now advising Presidents?

Now these same Boomer Leftist people not only are in-charge, they have mal-educated tens of millions of kids in their union and anti-American K-12. Face it – with honest education we would NOT have the Dem party of today, nor the Far Right, but it is the Left and their appalling demand for unionized teachers, and the dregs that fill our teaching slots BECAUSE of unionism, that has destroyed civil discourse… who now insist, as the Left ALWAYS does in their infantile worldview and inability to accept responsibility – that it is the fault of someone else. Look at the Dem political platform.. it is ALL ABOUT lack of personal responsibility.

To think the continued destruction of society, western civ and our culture and the rule of law by the Left will not have consequences is absurd. The Left will not rest until they have recreated all of the anarchism and anti-Americanism of the 1960s. And you can bet they’ll make things worse before things get better.

Comment by Dave

“The Tea Party, the very name is ridiculous. Crazed fat people tortured by their lack of success in life, following the absolute worst of our politicians. Palin, Angel[sic], Quayle’s rotten kid.”

Pot/kettle Mr Daniziger. I do believe you have engaged in hate-filled rhetoric that WILL lead to hate crimes.

I suggest the blame for the the next and every future attack on a “fat” person be laid on you. Further, should anything happen to Ms Palin, Ms Angle or Mr Quayle the FBI should hold YOU directly responsible.

Comment by Fred

Crazed fat people tortured by their lack of success? Obviously, not well aquainted or even a casual observer of any teaparty gatherings. What an idiot.

Comment by Thomas

Mr. Danzinger and the Tuscon shooter do have one thing in common, both members of the Tin-Foil hat brigade.
Anti goverment paranoid and delusional.

Comment by Mike

This is one of the most interesting blog post and replies I have read in some time. First ALL relies, without exception were thoughtful and under control. Second. All replies were uniformly critical, rightfully so, of Danzinger’s rants. Third. The liberal crack-up is on full display, which means there is hope — the Tea Party is winning.

Comment by pt sargent

[...] Danziger: Tea Party “Ultimately to
Blame” for Tucson Shootings This afternoon, I saw perhaps
the most troubling, irresponsible, disconnected-from-reality
editorial cartoon I’ve ever [...] [...]

Pingback by Top Posts — WordPress.com

Thanks… http://arabalog.blogspot.com/

Comment by Bmw

” Facts are stubborn
things;……
…and whatever may be our wishes, our
inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter
the state of facts and evidence.”— John Adams,
speaking as the defense attorney for the Boston
residents—no, wait!—for the Br…

Trackback by One of Nine

Danziger’s cartoon shows a gun-wielding assassin emerging
from a tea pot. We need a cartoon that shows how cause and effect
really have been working in this affair: Copies
of The Washington Post emerging from the rear
end of a donkey.

Comment by Murgatroyd

When logic and facts fail, resort to name-calling. That always wins debates.

Comment by fmp

“car companies don’t compete” really? on what planet. then why the ads and claims and dealerships

Comment by Peterk

Danziger’s hidden behind the flag and his service (noticeably, apropos of nothing) before to defend racist cartoons of Condoleeza Rice. Shame on him for both. And Hillary Clinton, according to herself, was a Goldwater Girl back in the day.

Remind Mr. Danziger that Timothy McVeigh was awarded the Bronze Star and Duke Cunningham a Navy Cross, two Silver Stars and a Purple Heart.
Decency is not a prerequisite for heroism.

Comment by furious

The artist is a pathetic name-calling idiot.

Comment by A.Men

Another raving leftist deluding himself and lying to others that he is neutral. Then he goes on to paint the Tea Party, a group of the most solid tax paying hard working PEACEFUL and tidy citizens that you can find as wackos preaching violence. A much more pertinent cartoon with actual evidence would be the little leftist pothead shooting out of Obama’s cranium with the President’s speech bubble saying “If they bring a knife, we bring a gun to the fight” and talking about Republicans as “the enemy”.

Comment by Laine

Can you imagine for a moment just how completely *batshit* the Danzigers of the world must have been as the Tea Party fueled spending tussle recently unfolded in Congress?

Delicious. I’ll be thinking of him in 2012 when another 50 Tea Party representatives are elected.

One other observation: notice how quick he was to offer up that he’d served in Viet Nam, as if that somehow granted his opinions a particular moral validity. He can’t even claim the nobility of enlisting; he was drafted.

Seeing how fast he was to whip this out, I can imagine his drunken arse at every family barbecue opining “Oh yeah?! I served in Nam! I served in Nam!”. Sad, really.

Comment by John